Sunday, August 16, 2009

What I Did During My Summer Vacation.

Looked for a job!!! I was in such denial with my previous job. I thought my school would be open forever and explode with enrollment any day. However, reality crashed my fantastical party, pointed directly in my face with its giant grubby finger and shouted, "Nanny nanny boo boo! You lose, I win! Your job here is over!"
So there I was, the last week of May, face to face with my new "friend" Reality. I took the hand of my new friend somewhat grudgingly and went on the path of employment. The thing about reality is that he (or she or it, whatever you prefer) is not a prognosticator; he does not tell you what is going to happen only what is happening right now. I thought I was going to be able to find a job no problem. I still wasn't fully embracing my new friend, you see.
I marched into a new school, fully expecting them to say, "Oh yes, we have heard about you and would LOVE to have you on our staff!"
Yeah, that did not happen. And it continued to not happen time and time again. I did have one principal tell me he thought I was great and would fit right in, but did not have a position open. Um, why did he interview me then? I still do not know the answer to this question and hope perhaps it will show itself fruitful at some point.
You know interview questions right? The infamous "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" Would you like to know my weakness? INTERVIEWS!!! I learned I hate them. I get the sweats, my mind goes blank, my tongue twists up and meanwhile reality comes in and whispers, "You aren't certified. They want someone who knows about IEPs and all their fancy educational verbiage and programs." (shutup reality!)
The best interview was the one that started out with, "Originally, I had put your resume in our 'no' pile." Really? Thanks for the tidbit of information buddy.
Well, by the end of summer I did end up finding a gig. I now work with kids that are about 2 to 3 feet shorter than my previous teaching job. I am not the lead teacher, but I am excited about the learning possibilities.
What did I learn this summer...
1. Don't fall out of doors and hurt your ankle when you are uninsured. (another great story from my summer)
2. Always be prepared to further yourself. In my case, getting a Master's degree and certified.
3. God takes care of reality.

No comments: